Pac-Man Championship Edition DX is the sequel to Pac-Man Championship Edition. It is available for Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX, along with Pac-Man Party, was made in honor of Pac-Man's 30th Anniversary.
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX features 8 mazes:
- Championship II - An update from the original Championship Edition with new paths dedicated to this game.
- Highway - An open maze with more warp zones on either sides.
- Junction - The maze filled with intersections with the most warp zones on all sides
- Spiral - It is build with technical loop paths that can make anyone dizzy (not really).
- Manhattan - Named after a New York district.
- Dungeon - Zoom in on a tightly squeezed corridors where there should be having no room for error.
- Championship I - The return of the original Championship Edition maze with the rules of CEDX.
- Half - Maze has cut out one half, making the left side only to have ghosts and pac-dots.
- Free - A game mode which allows custom rules by changing difficulty and constant number of ghosts. It is a great place to practice.
Each maze (except Free) have 4 game modes:
- 5 Min/10 Min Score Attack - Within the time limit, your goal is to gain as much score as you can.
- Ghost Combo - Eat as much ghosts as possible in one go.
- Time Trial - Be the fastest Pac to eat certain amount of apples in a maze.
- Time Trial Short - A segmented time trial where partial times will add to the total time.
The game's maze visuals are fully customizable to your liking. There are many types of graphics from various Pac-Man games you can mix and match to make your own mazes. Some of the graphics include Pac-Mania, and the original Pac-Man Park theme from the original Pac-Man.
The game has upgraded its features for a whole new experience. The game will slowdown as Pac-Man heads towards a ghost. It also gains an ability to use bombs to force all ghosts back to its hideout, especially when they're about to trap Pac-Man. But this costs the game's speed. Hold the Bomb button to make Pac-Man move slower.
Changes to Ghosts
New addition are green sleeping Ghosts idling in the maze. When Pac-Man narrowly goes past a ghost, they'll turn angry and rainbow-colored, chasing Pac-Man all over the maze, following every move you make. Activated ghosts form a line. When powered up, Pac-Man can eat hordes of ghosts with an insane pace.
As player's score increases, Inky, Blinky, Pinky, and Clyde (in that order) enter to the playing field, with behaviour they are known for. When Pac-Man moves past them, they also turn into angry rainbow ghosts, joining the line. Blinky, Pinky, Inky and Clyde respawn in a normal form in a ghost pen.
Many ghosts also carry power pellets, replenishing the duration of a power pellet effect when eaten. Some also carry bomb pickups.
On September 25, 2013, Namco released a free title update to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of Championship Edition DX, as well as the PC debut via Steam. The + update adds more detailed leaderboards and new medals.
The update also adds Downloadable Contents of BGMs, mazes, and visuals:
- Championship III & Highway II - The redesigns of a highly popular Championship II and Highway courses to kick the adrenaline up a notch.
- Mountain - A zig-zag crazy technical maze for those who aim to be on top of the world. Beware that the ghosts are likely to shortcuts to catch up with you.
- Big Eater - Anyone who can't get enough of ghost-munching moments can get this maze full of ghosts, but getting too greedy will totally lead you nowhere else to go!
- Dig-Dug - Dig in to the world of Dig Dug while still playing Pac-Man style.
- Rally-X - Pac-Man gets an automotive makeover! All Pac-Man sprites becomes Rally-X style!
- Pac Is Back - Introducing the elements of Pac-Man's own TV series, Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures.
- Classic Pac-Man - This skin is based on the original arcade game, must be unlocked by earning all achievements/trophies.
- Pac-Steps - Step into the action with a techno and trance tracklist with drum 'n' bass music. Also, a double melody of Pac-Mania is included in that track.
- Reentrance - Play along with a track which is a more advance tuned "Entrance" main menu music.
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX received universally positive reviews. IGN gave the game a perfect 10/10, saying that the game "boasts simple, addictive gameplay that will have you competing for high scores on the score boards for months." IGN also the game an Editor's Choice award. Metacritic gave the game a 93 out of 100, indicating "overwhelmingly positive reviews." GameSpot gave a 9/10 while praising the new elements that made Championship Edition "more thrilling and addictive than ever." 1UP.com gave the game an A. Eurogamer also gave the game a 10/10, calling it "a game you'll want to instantly evangelise to anyone with even the vaguest sense of what makes a game good."
Destructoid gave the game a 9/10. Giant Bomb gave it a 5/5, and Good Game gave it a 9.5/10.