- "BEWARE OF THE GLITCH!"
Pac-Man 256 is a mobile free-to-play game for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Android developed by Hipster Whale and published by Bandai Namco Games in celebration of Pac-Man's 35th anniversary. It was released on August 19, 2015.
It was later ported to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC with Multiplayer in June 21, 2016 for $5.
- "On PAC-MAN's 35th anniversary, we are collaborating with Hipster Whale (the makers of Crossy Road) to bring you a hilariously addictive endless maze chase inspired by the infamous level 256 glitch from the original PAC-MAN! The free-to-play game will be available for smartphones and tablets in summer 2015."
In Pac-Man 256 a player needs to advance upwards a never-ending maze to not get caught by the slowly advancing glitch. At the same time, Pac-Man still has to avoid the ghosts. In one game, the player can use three power ups, that when selected, will appear randomly on the map, available to be collected and used. There are also achivements, that give credits when completed, such as "collect 5 Tornado power ups". There are also secrets in the game, such as a huge explosion that wipes the map of ghosts when the player reaches a 256 Pac Dot chain. In game, the player can collect credits, which are you used to upgrade power ups and buy new themes (maps to play on). Credits can also be earned by watching advertisements, playing demo games and completing achievements.
Gameplay of Pac-Man 256 is basically the same as the mobile version, but with some differences. There is a multiplayer mode, and gifts are randomly given, instead of having to watch ads. In multiplayer, 2-4 players share the same map, power ups, etc. Also, before starting a multiplayer map, the 2-4 players can choose different skins to distinguish one another. When one player dies in multiplayer, a respawn cube will appear, similar to power ups, ready for the alive companions to collect. Once collected, one dead player will respawn.
Power Ups are designed to give the player an advantage against fighting/escaping ghosts, collecting more pellets, or simply getting more points. One power up is unlocked every 24 hours, and 3 can be used on one game. Along with the power up loadout selected, in game players can also pick up Power Pellets, which lets Pac Man kill ghosts on touch. Each power up has a more powerful version and a weaker version, weaker versions unlocked earlier and vice versa. The power ups are usually related by appearance, but some look different but have only very slightly different effects. Therefore, it is advised to use the more powerful versions once unlocked. Power ups can be upgraded, either increasing the points per kill or the power up duration (in seconds). The following power ups appear in unlocking order, with their stronger and weaker versions (the closer to the right, the more powerful the version is):
- Laser - Optics - Radar - Beam (Console)
- Freeze - Shatter
- Bomb - Boom - Cherries
- Giant - Pac-Men
- Tornado - Twinado
- Stealth - Sonar
- Fire - Pyro
- Trap - Electric
- Magnet - Regen
- Beam (Console)
When a powerup is collected, all other powerup items are replaced with larger square pac-dot that prolongs the effect of powerup for a small amount when eaten. These dots revert back to the powerups when the current powerup wears out.
Unlike regular Pac-Man, more than one ghost of the same color can appear. Each ghosts has their own AI and race after the player to kill them.
- Will chase the player.
- If a player is in the same row or column as Pinky, she will move towards the direction of the player (without turning immediately if the player changes direction) until she hits the wall. Pinky is faster than the player, so outrunning her in a long line is hard. It's advised turn corners until out of her limited range.
- Wakes up when the player approaches too close and chases you. If Pac Man runs away far enough, Spunky falls asleep again.
- Continuously moves downwards. Turns left or right depending on the player's relative location and continues downwards if there is no wall blocking the southern path.
- Circles around a certain portion of the map, ignoring the player.
- Moves horizontally in one row only, paying no attention to the player. Typically appears in fours.
- Moves slowly in a horizontal line in an attempt to block the player from advancing upwards. Typically appears in threes.
- Changes color and occasionally teleports to a nearby location in order to ambush the player. Chases the player.
In-App Purchases (Mobile)
The following in-app purchases are available to the player:
- Coin Doubler: $4.99 (Comes with a bonus 2048 coins)
As of version 1.1, Pac-Man 256 introduces themes, which changes the appearance of the entire maze, including ghosts, pellets, power-ups, fruits, and Pac-Man himself. All themes either cost $0.99 or 2048 credits. The following themes are currently available: PLEASE NOTE: THERE ARE MANY MORE AVALIABLE NOT LISTED.
- Pac-Man 256 (Default)
- Classic 80's
- Crossy Road
- The Grid
- The Garden
- The Office
- PAC-MAN 256 - Mobile/Tablet - Beware of the Glitch! (Announcement Trailer)
- PAC-MAN 256 Trailer by Hipster Whale (Crossy Road developer) & Bandai-Namco
- PAC-MAN 256 - Gameplay - Gamescom 2015 - iPhone iPad Amazon Google Play