- "BEWARE OF THE GLITCH!"
Pac-Man 256 is a mobile free-to-play game for iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Android developed by Hipster Whale and published by Bandai Namco Games in celebration of Pac-Man's 35th anniversary. It was released on August 19, 2015.
It was later ported to PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC with Multiplayer in June 21, 2016.
- "On PAC-MAN's 35th anniversary, we are collaborating with Hipster Whale (the makers of Crossy Road) to bring you a hilariously addictive endless maze chase inspired by the infamous level 256 glitch from the original PAC-MAN! The free-to-play game will be available for smartphones and tablets in summer 2015."
In Pac-Man 256 a player needs to advance upwards a never-ending maze to not get caught by the slowly advancing glitch. At the same time, Pac-Man still has to avoid the ghosts.
Power Ups are designed to give the player an advantage against fighting/escaping ghosts, collecting more pellets, or simply getting more points. The following power ups appear in unlocking order:
When a powerup is collected, all other powerup items are replaced with larger pac-dot that prolongs the effect of powerup for a small amount when eaten. These dots revert back to the powerups when the current powerup wears out.
Unlike regular Pac-Man, more than one ghost of the same color can appear.
- Will chase the player.
- If a player is in the same row or column as Pinky, she will move towards the direction of the player (without turning immediately if the player changes direction) until she hits the wall. Pinky is faster than the player.
- Wakes up when the player approaches too close and chases you.
- Continuously moves downwards. Turns left or right depending on the player's relative location and continues downwards if there is no wall blocking the southern path.
- Circles around a certain portion of the map.
- Moves horizontally, paying no attention to the player. Typically appears in fours.
- Moves slowly in a horizontal line in an attempt to block the player from advancing upwards. Typically appears in threes.
- Changes color and occasionally teleports to a nearby location in order to ambush the player. Chases the player.
The following in-app purchases are available to the player:
- Coin Doubler: $4.99 (Comes with a bonus 2048 coins)
- Unlimited Credits:
$7.99$4.99 (Currently on sale)
As of version 1.1, Pac-Man 256 introduces themes, which changes the appearance of the entire maze, including ghosts, pellets, power-ups, fruits, and Pac-Man himself. The following themes are currently available:
- Pac-Man 256 (Default)
- Classic 80's ($0.99)
- Crossy Road ($0.99)
- The Grid ($0.99)
- PAC-MAN 256 - Mobile/Tablet - Beware of the Glitch! (Announcement Trailer)
- PAC-MAN 256 Trailer by Hipster Whale (Crossy Road developer) & Bandai-Namco
- PAC-MAN 256 - Gameplay - Gamescom 2015 - iPhone iPad Amazon Google Play